Monday, February 19, 2018

How Did I get My Start? This is How.

Comment or Question: Thank you. Beautiful arrangement. I was looking for an arrangement for an Elder in our area right now who wanted to sing a solo in church. So glad we found this tenor arrangement as it works perfect for his voice range. We will be performing it this Sunday in sacrament meeting. I was wondering if you could share with me a little bit of your musical background and how you got into composition as that is something I'm interested in.

Thank you for your comments and Questions!

I started taking piano lessons when I was five from my mother. Later, I had other teachers. At 10, I started singing in our Ward Choir. My mother was the choir director also. I learned to love all music and especially the hymns of Zion. 

Later, I attending Brigham Young University and majored in Music Education. I took several theory and composition classes there.

After I married, I was called as our Ward Choir Director. I soon discovered that, at $1.50 to $2.00 per piece, our Ward could not afford to purchase ten or twelve new pieces per year for 20 people! I decided to write some hymn arrangements for our choir myself so I could make as many copies as I wanted.

Soon, other choir directors in our Stake started asking me for copies of the arrangements I had written. When word spread, other choir directors from many places contacted me and asked for copies.

Finally, my daughter, who is a web site designer suggested that she make me a web site so people could download my music any time they wanted.

Thus, www.freewardchoirmusic was born.

I have had many interesting comments and questions from various people since I started seven years ago. The funniest was from someone who was not a member of the LDS faith. They asked what kind of "Ward" my music was written for. Was it for a psychiatric ward?

(The answer to that is Yes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment