Thursday, December 11, 2014

How Great Thou Art

So much of what I write is out of necessity. A woman in our Ward is asked to sing "How Great Thou Art" as a soprano solo. She asks me to accompany her.

OK. I say to her. I am sure I can find a nice arrangement for you. After all, it is a VERY popular piece! Right? There should be HUNDREDS of arrangements to choose from. I look on line. I go to all my favorite free music sites. Lots of piano solos. Lots of SATB. Well, maybe we can make one of those work. Still looking. What?! a SAXOPHONE part! Are you kidding me?

Well, alright, I am willing to pay for an arrangement. I look through music for sale. Nope. Don't like that one. Don't like that one either. Guitar accompaniment? I don't think so.

Fine. Here I am writing my own again.  My son says I am too picky. I guess that's true. I just can't see a twangy sounding solo working for Sacrament meeting. Sigh.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment